Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Breast Composition ( komposisi payudara )
Breast consists of:
1. Cooper's Ligament: a strong ligamentous band extending upward and backward from the base of Gimbernat's ligament along the iliopectineal line to which it is attached -- called also ligament of Cooper.
2. Pectoralis major: a larger chest muscle that arises from the clavicle, the sternum, the cartilages of most or all of the ribs, and the aponeurosis of the external oblique muscle and is inserted by a strong flat tendon into the posterior bicipital ridge of the humerus.
3. Pectoralis minor: a smaller chest muscle that lies beneath the larger, arises from the third, fourth, and fifth ribs, and is inserted by a flat tendon into the coracoid process of the scapula.
4. Connective tissue: a tissue of mesodermal origin rich in intercellular substance or interlacing processes with little tendency for the cells to come together in sheets or masses ;
5. Specifically : connective tissue of stellate or spindle-shaped cells with interlacing processes that pervades, supports, and binds together other tissues and forms ligaments and tendons.
6. Blood vessels: any of the vessels through which blood circulates in the body.
7. Ribs: any of the paired curved bony or partly cartilaginous rods that stiffen the lateral walls of the body of most vertebrates and protect the viscera, that occur in mammals exclusively or almost exclusively in the thoracic region, and that in humans normally include 12 pairs of which all are articulated with the spinal column at the dorsal end and the first 10 are connected also at the ventral end with the sternum by costal cartilages.
8. Subcutaneous fat: fat cells being, living, used, or made under the skin.
Infra-mammary crease: infra- meaning below, mammary meaning breast. The fold or crease under the breast where the breast lobe meets the torso.
9. Breast fat: fatty tissue found above the glandular tissue of the breast. The breast is mostly made up of lobules, milk ducts, fat, and glandular tissue.
10. Ducts: a bodily tube or vessel especially when carrying the secretion of a gland, specifically breast milk. esp. lactiferous ducts, milk ducts
11. Glandular tissue: of, relating to, or involving glands, gland cells, or their products; specifically breast milk production. esp. lobules
12. Nipple: the protuberance of a mammary gland upon which in the female the lactiferous ducts open and from which milk is drawn
13. Lobules: The glandular part of the breast where milk is produced
14. breast envelope: the skin which surrounds the structure of the breast.
The breast is a mass of glandular, fatty, and fibrous tissues positioned over the pectoral muscles of the chest wall and attached to the chest wall by fibrous strands called Cooper’s ligaments. A layer of fatty tissue surrounds the breast glands and extends throughout the breast. The fatty tissue gives the breast a soft consistency.
The glandular tissues of the breast house the lobules (milk producing glands at the ends of the lobes) and the ducts (milk passages). Toward the nipple, each duct widens to form a sac (ampulla). During lactation, the bulbs on the ends of the lobules produce milk. Once milk is produced, it is transferred through the ducts to the nipple.
The breast is composed of:
- milk glands (lobules) that produce milk
- ducts that transport milk from the milk glands (lobules) to the nipple
- areola (pink or brown pigmented region surrounding the nipple)
- connective (fibrous) tissue that surrounds the lobules and ducts
How much do you know about Breasts? Pledge for Women
Did you know that breast cancer is the No. 1 cause of cancer deaths among women in Malaysia? To contribute towards the future of women, all you need to do is fill in your name, email and pledge!
1 in 20 women in Malaysia has a risk of getting breast cancer in their lifetime? How much do you know about genital warts and HPV? Isn't it scary that it occurs among men and women aged 18-28 years and the prevalence is rising in younger age group (e.g., 15-19), and elderly individuals?
The Passionately You Cervical & Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign is a voluntary collaboration between Assunta Hospital, Asia Assistance, Jaya One and PJ Live Arts founded to encourage the community to support the cause for cervical & breast cancer awareness and early detection. It also helps raise funds for the Community Treatment Program at Assunta Hospital that provides aid to cancer patients from the low income group.
Help raise 6,000 pledges by 22nd of October 2011 by submitting your pledge and spreading awareness to your friends, joining celebrities such as Amber Chia, Niki Cheong, Farah Fauzana and former Miss Malaysia and cancer survivor Genevieve Sambhi! To make things even better, you might even get to win a 32” Panasonic LCD TV if you get all your friends to pledge as well... so what are you waiting for? Pledge now!